Last night, after grocery store hopping from Trader Joes to Ralph’s to finally Whole Foods, our sought after meat got lost in the mix. From the recipe directed skirt steak, to thinking it was flank steak, to purchasing strip steak, we ended up with the wrong meat!
I’m not one usually for red meat, but I’d eat strip steak everyday. At $22.99/lb go figure it was good! With a high price tag, we opted for 1/2 pound of strip steak, and 1 pound of flank steak. We couldn’t find any good looking bib lettuce, so we went with rainbow chard and ended up making the tacos more like wraps. Overall, it was delicious and I am so excited to make some more recipes from Practical Paleo!
Strip Steak Tacos
Rendition from Practical Paleo Haley’s Skirt Steak Tacos
Juice and zest of one lime
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/8 teaspoon red chili flakes
1/2 lb strip steak
1 lb flank steak
Sea salt and black pepper to taste
1 bunch of rainbow chard
2 dozen cherry tomatoes, halved
1 avocado, thinly sliced
- Cut the chard leaves from the stems and rinse them off. Set them aside to dry.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the lime juice, zest, paprika and red chili flakes. Place the steaks in the bowl and massage the seasonings into it. Add sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Pan sear over medium-high heat for about 5-7 minutes on each side (depending on how you prefer your “doneness”).
- Set the cooked steak aside to rest for 10 minutes. Then slice against the grain into small strips.
- Serve the steak, tomatoes, and avocados in your lettuce wraps.